Llanrhaeadr-yng-Nghinmeirch is an astonishing little village. For many years the village was situated on the main Ruthin to Denbigh road, but the A525 now bypasses the village, leaving the place a calm and quiet place.
The name of the village translates as, ‘church (religious site) near the rushing stream in Cinmeirch’, which relates to the medieval commote in which the village lay. It does not, oddly for Denbighshire reflect the ancient British saint to which the church and well are dedicated. St Dyfnog was thought to have been an ancient British saint of the 6th century, and very little is known of him. Certainly, the church of Llanrhaeadr-yng-Nghinmeirch is only one known to bear the dedication. The dedication of the church to St Dyfnog suggests an early medieval foundation, although there is little evidence of a curvilinear churchyard, although an estate map of Llanrhaeadr Hall dated 1771 does display some curvature.
The Church of St Dyfnog is a treasure trove of interest and discussed elsewhere, as is the wonderful Ffynnon Dyfnog. Beside the churchyard are some delightful almshouses, built in 1729 by Jane Jones, widow of Maurice Jones of Llanrhaeadr Hall who enjoys a fascinating monument within the church. The almhouses were subsequently repaired and altered by Lord Bagnot in 1820.
On the other side of the A525, Llanrhaeadr Hall was originally built, it is thought by the ubiquitous Salusbury Family sometime in the 15th century. It left the Salusbury family after being sold to Maurice Jones, who died in 1702 and was buried at St Dyfnog’s. Richard Parry inherited the property in 1759 and despite plans to rebuild the House, the building was instead enlarged and altered in the 1770s. On Parry’s death, the House was bought by the Price family who undertook some extensive modifications, including the E-plan front in evidence to this day. From the Price’s the House was sold to the Bamfords, a family of considerable wealth through meat exporting. Further work was undertaken in 1939 just before the Second World War began. Eventually, the House was sold in 1968 to the Winterbottoms, hoteliers and the property became a nursing home. The outbuildings were bought in 2015 and are now a spa complex.