An atmospheric, derelict collection of buildings give little sign of the pioneering work that was conducted at Llangwyfan Hospital. Built between 1918-1920 in order to treat tuberculosis by the King Edward VII Welsh National Memorial Association. The WNMA was a voluntary association founded specifically to ‘eradicate tuberculosis in Wales and Monmouthshire’, after a meeting in Shrewsbury in 1910. Another hospital was built in Talgarth, Powys. Such was the stigma associated with tuberculosis that sanatoria were often built in isolated areas of the country, Llangwyfan fitting the bill splendidly. It was not until the development of the antibiotic, streptomycin in 1946 that the fight against the disease began to be won. The Hospital came under the control of the National Health Service in 1948, which coincided with more effective treatment of the disease. It was at this time that the hospital began to focus more on the convalescence of patients than a recognisable sanatorium. Llangwyfan Hospital closed in 1981.
In February 1923, Llangwyfan Hospital School was opened in order to educate children suffering from Non-Pulmonary Tuberculosis, patients suffering from TB of the spine, and thus suffering various states of disablement. By 1925 there were 70 children being taught by 3 teachers. In 1949 the school came under the direction of the Denbighshire Education Authority. The development of effective antibiotics thankfully reduced the numbers of children at the school, and by 1979 there were only 2 pupils on roll. The school closed for good in 1980, one of the few positive school closures there have been.