There seems little doubt that the tiny village of Llanfwrog, now largely a suburb of Ruthin has an early Christian foundation. The churchyard is clearly circular, despite some later adjustments. And to add to this, the dedication of the church is to St Mwrog, a most obscure British saint, thought to be 7th century and identified, rather typically as a hermit.
Very little is now known as to the early history of the village. Earthworks in the field opposite to the church are intriguing, and indicate perhaps a medieval farming system. Written records show that the village was known as ‘Lanwrauc’ in 1254, ‘Llanvoorog’ in 1684 with some strange variations in between. This could well suggest that St Mwrog was as little known to the earliest inhabitants of Llanfwrog as to ourselves.
The Church of St Mwrog and St Mary is mainly 15th and 16th century, but with some considerable work undertaken in 1869-1870. The west end, which impressed Hubbard with is size is apparently undateable, though the west door is thought to be 14th century. Hubbard in, ‘The Buildings of Wales: Clwyd’ makes note of the, ‘puzzling’ three bay arcade and the disused font. There are a number of interesting gravestones in the churchyard, and an interesting memorial of 1640 propped up against a wall.