Llanbedr Dyffryn Clwyd, some 2 miles north east of Ruthin, is essentially two villages. The original settlement was centred around the old, now derelict Church of St Peter, medieval in origin, the chapel for Llanbedr Hall. During the 18th and 19th centuries, a new village rose along the old turnpike road, now the A494.
In 1291 the village was known as ‘Ecclia’ Sci’ Petri’, and Llanbedr, the Church (site) of St Peter until the end of the 18th century when it gained its topographical addendum at the end of the 18th century. Given the prevalence of Llanbedr’s throughout Wales, this seems entirely reasonable, but also goes so way to show how connected the land had become by then, how aware of other communities the people of Llanbedr had become. It has remained, ‘The Church (site) of St Peter in the Vale of Clwyd’ ever since.
The community is dominated by the two most southerly hillforts in the Clwydian Range, Moel Fenlli and Moel Y Gaer Llanbedr (the name, Moel Y Gaer is also very common, for obvious reasons).
Given how very close the village is to the Clwydian Range and its major hillforts, it is perhaps unsurprising that the area is dotted with prehistoric barrows. The round barrows of Moel Eithinen and Moel Gyw are nearby. Further investigation of a number of intriguing lumps and bumps will probably deepen our knowledge while leading to further questions, as is often the way.