So-called for the striking feature of its seven dormer windows, The Myddleton Grill on the Square was bought by Sir Hugh Myddleton in 1597. The building is of Flemish design, possibly on the instigation of Sir Richard Clough, whose work at Bachegraig Hall seems to have him attached to any new and curious design. And curious it is, with its tiers of ‘eyes’ staring down into St Peter’s Square.
Despite its connection to Clough, it has been hard to definitively date its building, due to the large number of renovations and extensions to the original build. It was originally timber framed, but was re-fronted with brick sometime in the late 18th century. Internally, the upstairs is recognisable as Medieval.
Sir Hugh Myddleton (1560-1631) was the sixth son of Richard Myddleton, governor of Denbigh Castle, and brother to Thomas Myddleton (1550-1631) who was Mayor London in 1613 and bought Chirk Castle in 1595. Hugh Myddleton was celebrated for his entrepreneurship and his creation of the New River, bringing fresh water to London. There are monuments to him on Islington Green in London and at the Royal Exchange, which ironically was founded by Sir Richard Clough.