The ubiquitous nature of the name, ‘Bedd y Cawr’ throughout North East Wales, relates to the belief that these common Bronze Age Tumuli were the last resting place of giants. At Cefnmeiriadog, close to a limestone ridge called, rather understandably, Cefn Meiriadog such a named tumulus stands, an artificial mound of stones. Tradition states that the giant once lived at nearby Plas Newydd.
While the house still stands, actually originally built for Ffoulk ap Robert in 1583, the fine oak screen has been removed to the Welsh Folk Museum at St Fagans. It once divided the kitchen from a living room and was around ten foot tall, with a peg some nine feet above the ground, apparently for the giant’s hat.