Some two hundred years ago, the little village of Trevor was at the forefront of the Industrial Revolution. Perhaps this isn’t a surprise, since the quite magnificent Pontcysyllte Aqueduct is rather hard to ignore – not that you’d want to, of course. It’s hard to imagine now, since there is an air of serenity about the place, even in the summer months when the world in all its wonderous diversity arrives in the village to visit the Aqueduct.
But to visit, many have parked by way of the little wonder that is the Scotch Hall Bridge, which New Road rests upon.As the visitors park and hurry over to the heights of the Aqueduct, they have missed this piece of internationally significant industrial heritage.
Built in 1804-05 and designed by Thomas Telford himself, this multi-arched, iron-arched bridge is now the earliest example to remain in its original position. The only earlier example is now in York Railway Museum. That’s quite something. Trevor at the forefront of the Industrial Revolution.